Mite Treatment

• 21 Mar 2023 10:00 AM
    Reply # 13139697 on 13138739

Thank you !

• 21 Mar 2023 9:16 AM
    Reply # 13139640 on 13138739
    Allen Engle (Administrator)

Karen,

I'm somewhat against prophylactic treatment.  However, especially in the winter, in my opinion, the mites are worse than a treatment is, and the downsides for OA treatment are pretty minor.  Second most important is to check the mite levels after the treatment to see what they are.  You could treat with OA, either drizzle or vapor pretty quickly, then do another count at the first warm day.  As always though, I believe the best resource is the HBHC tools for Varroa management.

Allen Engle

• 20 Mar 2023 3:45 PM
    Message # 13138739

I live in La Pine and cant seem to coordinate a warm day when I am off work to get a mite sample and do a oxalic acid treatment.  I  did a powder sugar sample in September and it was low but I have lost one hive and everything I read said I could do a treatment.  With the windchill and such, I havent been comfortable opening the hive up to get a sample.  The girls have been out on and off when it gets above about 45 but again I am not home until early evening and dont want to open everything up to get a sample.   Any suggestions?  Do the treatment without a sample?? Wait until I can open up the hive?