Horse ridge area a good place to keep hives?

• 21 Mar 2023 9:11 AM
    Reply # 13139622 on 13136467
    Allen Engle (Administrator)

Good morning Blaine,

In my opinion, the Horse Butte area can be a bit slim on both forage and water.  The native plant life (primarily bitter brush, sage brush and rabbit brush supplemented by some Oregon Sunshine and Sulfur Buckwheat and a few spots of Spotted Knapweed do provide limited (timewise) forage opportunities.  If you were to plant a garden (flower or food) it would increase the amount of forage available.  WRT water, the bees will find it.  If it's a long ways off, they might also find the water at a neighbor's hot tub or horse trough, so you'd be ahead if you provided a close by water source even if you have to fill it every couple days.  You might talk with Bob or Carol Reinhart who used to live in that area.   Alternatively, you might think about some of the native pollinators (native bees and wasps and hummingbirds) and work to attract and supplement them.

• 18 Mar 2023 12:16 PM
    Message # 13136467

I have some land near horse ridge. Curious how hives would do out there? What are some potential challenges, or is it just not feasible? I do not have a dedicated water source at this time. All native sage & rabbit brush vegetation. Any insight would be appreciated!